As you know, we had a Fleet meeting on Jan. 25 at the Boatyard. It was well participated – beers, apps & a discussion of agenda items, including fleet parties, racing schedule, how we can all have more fun racing this year & ideas of how we can grow our fleet.
Our party at Eastport YC on the last evening of Thursday night racing last year was a good time! So this year, we will have two – one after the first Thursday evening race (May 7), and one after the last (which coincides with the awards presentations) tentatively Aug. 27. Mark your calendars and please forward the invite to your crew list!
2015 Racing Schedule
Thursday evening racing continues to be very popular with our Fleet, while weekend racing has seen participation wane. We’d all like to better understand the reasons for this, but in the meantime we will wind-down the number of weekend events this year.
- Annapolis NOOD Fri. May 1 – Sun. May 3;
- Annapolis to Miles River (St. Michaels) race Sat. May 23.
- Shearwater SC Twilight Sat. June 20
- J-24 East Coast Championship Fri. Oct. 30 – Sun. Nov.
For those of you who enjoy the Twilight Saturday evening race there may be an opportunity for us to race another “twilight” type race later this season. I’ll let you know if/as this develops.
We need more boats to participate in these chosen weekend events. Let me know if I, or anyone else can knock down a barrier to you sailing one or more of these events!
If you could forward me the list of events you are interested or most likely to participate in, that would greatly help with our regatta planning this year.
JWorld Thursday Night Racing
SSA has agreed with J-World to provide race committee for the first Thursday evening series (8 races) for the J-24/J-22 course. Any SSA member boats will get participation credit for Thursday evening races.
How Can We Have More Fun Racing J-24’s
- Ideas included a greater focus on gatherings & camaraderie where we all get to know each other better
- Having different formats of races, such as races to a place where all get off our boats & party. This could be race up the Severn & at the end we have a barbecue; it could be the St. Michaels Race, or a race to the Solomons where we have post race corn hole tournament along with drinks, dinner & breakfast the next morning before sailing home. Send me a short note of your thoughts.
Grow Our Fleet
The 5th crew spot is perfect for introducing new people to J-24 sailing & racing. Here are some opportunities:
- J-World is looking for boats to place their former students on;
- Each of the junior programs in town (AYC, EYC & SSA) is also looking for boats to place some of their more experienced sailors on. I will be following-up with J-World & the junior programs to try to facilitate having some of their sailors choose J-24’s to sail with.
- One of your crew may be ready to take the next step…
- You all have friends who have always wanted to go sailing but never got invited. When you have an opening in that 5th spot, make the call.
35 days until spring!